Business & Personal Marketing
Types of Degrees Business & Personal Marketing Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many business and personal/financial services marketing operations graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Business & Personal Marketing Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, business and personal/financial services marketing operations majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Business and Personal/Financial Services Marketing Operations Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Business and Personal/Financial Services Marketing Operations Majors
business and personal/financial services marketing operations majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Abilities for Business and Personal/Financial Services Marketing Operations Majors
As a business and personal/financial services marketing operations major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
What Can You Do With a Business & Personal Marketing Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with business and personal/financial services marketing operations:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Sales Agents, Financial Services||6.2%||$64,120|
|Sales Agents, Securities and Commodities||6.2%||$64,120|
How Much Do Business & Personal Marketing Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Business and Personal/Financial Services Marketing Operations majors often go into careers with median salaries of $98,770. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Business & Personal Marketing
Some careers associated with business and personal/financial services marketing operations require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to business and personal/financial services marketing operations have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||31.9%|
|Some College Courses||5.1%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||3.2%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||7.2%|
Online Business & Personal Marketing Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 8 schools offered some type of business and personal/financial services marketing operations program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||3||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||3||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Business & Personal Marketing Worth It?
The median salary for a business and personal/financial services marketing operations grad is $98,770 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 148% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $1,177,400 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Business & Personal Marketing
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to business and personal/financial services marketing operations.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Qfamily under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs.Visit School