Types of Degrees Fashion Merchandising Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many fashion merchandising graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Fashion Merchandising Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to fashion merchandising were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Fashion Merchandising Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in fashion merchandising should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
Skills for Fashion Merchandising Majors
A major in fashion merchandising prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Abilities for Fashion Merchandising Majors
A major in fashion merchandising will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
- Speech Recognition - The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
What Can You Do With a Fashion Merchandising Major?
People with a fashion merchandising degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products||5.2%||$58,510|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Merchandising?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of fashion merchandising majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||361|
|Hispanic or Latino||353|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Fashion Merchandising. About 6.4% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Fashion Merchandising Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to fashion merchandising is $69,480. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Fashion Merchandising
Some careers associated with fashion merchandising require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to fashion merchandising have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||6.2%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||22.5%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||4.9%|
|Some College Courses||3.7%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||5.3%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||0.5%|
Online Fashion Merchandising Programs
In 2019-2020, 120 schools offered a fashion merchandising program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||16||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Fashion Merchandising Worth It?
The median salary for a fashion merchandising grad is $69,480 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 74% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $591,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Fashion Merchandising
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to fashion merchandising.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Qfamily under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs.Visit School