Types of Degrees Hotel/Motel Administration Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many hotel/motel administration/management graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Hotel/Motel Administration Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to hotel/motel administration/management were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Hotel/Motel Administration/Management Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
Skills for Hotel/Motel Administration/Management Majors
A major in hotel/motel administration/management prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for Hotel/Motel Administration/Management Majors
A major in hotel/motel administration/management will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Can You Do With a Hotel/Motel Administration Major?
People with a hotel/motel administration/management degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Food Service Managers||9.0%||$54,240|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel/Motel Administration?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of hotel/motel administration/management majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||107|
|Hispanic or Latino||277|
Students from other countries are interested in Hotel/Motel Administration/Management, too. About 13.2% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Hotel/Motel Administration Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $58,960 to $62,270 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to hotel/motel administration/management. This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Hotel/Motel Administration
Some careers associated with hotel/motel administration/management require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to hotel/motel administration/management have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||16.5%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||37.0%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||3.2%|
|Some College Courses||14.2%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||1.5%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||2.4%|
Online Hotel/Motel Administration Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 165 schools offered some type of hotel/motel administration/management program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||61||2|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||51||1|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||4||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Hotel/Motel Administration Worth It?
The median salary for a hotel/motel administration/management grad is $58,960 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 48% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $381,200 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Hotel/Motel Administration
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to hotel/motel administration/management.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|General Hospitality Administration/Management||10,831|
|Tourism and Travel Services Management||1,473|
|Restaurant/Food Services Management||1,260|
|Meeting and Event Planning||1,036|
|Other Hospitality Administration/Management||787|
|Hotel, Motel, and Restaurant Management||339|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Bblackpsu under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs.Visit School