What is a Real Estate Broker?
Job Description & Duties Operate real estate office, or work for commercial real estate firm, overseeing real estate transactions. Other duties usually include selling real estate or renting properties and arranging loans.
List of Real Estate Broker Job Duties
- Act as an intermediary in negotiations between buyers and sellers over property prices and settlement details and during the closing of sales.
- Supervise agents who handle real estate transactions.
- Check work completed by loan officers, attorneys, or other professionals to ensure that it is performed properly.
- Manage or operate real estate offices, handling associated business details.
- Maintain awareness of current income tax regulations, local zoning, building and tax laws, and growth possibilities of the area where a property is located.
- Give buyers virtual tours of properties in which they are interested, using computers.
Real Estate Broker Needed Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Real Estate Brokers say are important on the job.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Negotiation: Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Types of Real Estate Broker Jobs
- Contract Specialist
- Lease Analyst
- Real Estate Associate
- Real Estate Sales Associate
- Real Estate Manager
Are There Job Opportunities for Real Estate Brokers?
There were about 95,300 jobs for Real Estate Broker in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 4.9% which is below the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,700 new jobs for Real Estate Broker by 2026. There will be an estimated 9,300 positions for Real Estate Broker per year.
The states with the most job growth for Real Estate Broker are Utah, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. Watch out if you plan on working in West Virginia, Illinois, or Wyoming. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Real Estate Broker Salary
Real Estate Brokers make between $22,750 and $163,540 a year.
Real Estate Brokers who work in Tennessee, Connecticut, or Texas, make the highest salaries.
How much do Real Estate Brokers make in each U.S. state?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$74,740|
Tools & Technologies Used by Real Estate Brokers
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Real Estate Brokers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Customer relationship management CRM software
- Google Earth Pro
- Showing Suite
- Yardi Systems Yardi Voyager Commercial
- Property Boulevard
- Domin-8 Enterprise Solutions Tenant Pro
- London Computer Systems Rent Manager
How do I Become a Real Estate Broker?
Individuals working as a Real Estate Broker have obtained the following education levels:
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where Real Estate Brokers Work
Real Estate Brokers work in the following industries:
Those thinking about becoming a Real Estate Broker might also be interested in the following careers:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs.Visit School