All About Wind Energy Project Managers
Occupation Description Lead or manage the development and evaluation of potential wind energy business opportunities, including environmental studies, permitting, and proposals. May also manage construction of projects.
A Day in the Life of a Wind Energy Project Manager
- Lead or support negotiations involving tax agreements or abatements, power purchase agreements, land use, or interconnection agreements.
- Provide technical support for the design, construction, or commissioning of wind farm projects.
- Develop scope of work for wind project functions, such as design, site assessment, environmental studies, surveying, or field support services.
- Review civil design, engineering, or construction technical documentation to ensure compliance with applicable government or industrial codes, standards, requirements, or regulations.
- Prepare requests for proposals (RFPs) for wind project construction or equipment acquisition.
- Manage wind project costs to stay within budget limits.
Skills Needed to be a Wind Energy Project Manager
Below is a list of the skills most Wind Energy Project Managers say are important on the job.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Types of Wind Energy Project Manager
- Renewable Project Management and Construction Director
- Renewable Energy Project Manager
- Renewable Power Director
- Energy Project Director
- Wind Project Manager
Are There Job Opportunities for Wind Energy Project Managers?
In the United States, there were 992,100 jobs for Wind Energy Project Manager in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 79,600 new jobs for Wind Energy Project Manager by 2026. There will be an estimated 79,200 positions for Wind Energy Project Manager per year.
The states with the most job growth for Wind Energy Project Manager are Utah, Washington, and Nevada. Watch out if you plan on working in Vermont, Maine, or Maryland. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Wind Energy Project Manager Average Salary
The salary for Wind Energy Project Managers ranges between about $52,550 and $183,430 a year.
Wind Energy Project Managers who work in District of Columbia, Virginia, or California, make the highest salaries.
How much do Wind Energy Project Managers make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$147,460|
Tools & Technologies Used by Wind Energy Project Managers
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Wind Energy Project Managers may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Microsoft Visio
- Oracle Primavera Systems
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Web conferencing software
How to Become a Wind Energy Project Manager
What education is needed to be a Wind Energy Project Manager?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Where do Wind Energy Project Managers Work?
The table below shows the approximate number of Wind Energy Project Managers employed by various industries.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs.Visit School