All About Sustainability Specialists
Job Description & Duties Address organizational sustainability issues, such as waste stream management, green building practices, and green procurement plans.
List of Sustainability Specialist Job Duties
- Assess or propose sustainability initiatives, considering factors such as cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and acceptance.
- Create or maintain plans or other documents related to sustainability projects.
- Collect information about waste stream management or green building practices to inform decision makers.
- Monitor or track sustainability indicators, such as energy usage, natural resource usage, waste generation, and recycling.
- Identify or investigate violations of natural resources, waste management, recycling, or other environmental policies.
- Review and revise sustainability proposals or policies.
Sustainability Specialist Needed Skills
Sustainability Specialists state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Other Sustainability Specialist Job Titles
- Senior Sustainability Consultant
- Energy Analyst
- Sustainability Coach
- Water Resources Project Manager
- Sustainable Business Operations Specialist
Sustainability Specialist Job Outlook
In the United States, there were 1,023,900 jobs for Sustainability Specialist in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.8% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 90,400 new jobs for Sustainability Specialist by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 104,200 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Sustainability Specialist are Utah, Nevada, and Arkansas. Watch out if you plan on working in Alaska, Maine, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Sustainability Specialist Average Salary
The average yearly salary of a Sustainability Specialist ranges between $38,420 and $123,000.
Sustainability Specialists who work in District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Sustainability Specialists make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$102,730|
What Tools & Technology do Sustainability Specialists Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Sustainability Specialists:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- Microsoft Access
- Word processing software
- Microsoft Project
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Visio
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
- Structured query language SQL
- Microsoft Publisher
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Extensible markup language XML
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
How do I Become a Sustainability Specialist?
Learn what Sustainability Specialist education requirements there are.
How Long Does it Take to Become a Sustainability Specialist?
Where Sustainability Specialists Work
Below are examples of industries where Sustainability Specialists work:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs.Visit School