Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Public Relations at American University

Find Schools Near

Public Relations at American University

What traits are you looking for in a PR school? To help you decide if American University is right for you, we've gathered the following information about the school's PR program.

The American University is located in Washington, District of Columbia and has a total student population of 14,318. Of the 491 students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree from American University in 2019, 109 of them were public relations majors.

Want to know more about the career opportunities in this field? Check out the Careers in Public Relations section at the bottom of this page.

The American University Public Relations Degrees Available

  • Bachelor’s Degree in PR

The American University Public Relations Rankings

Each year, College Factual ranks PR programs across the country. The following shows how The American University performed in these rankings.

Note: While rankings may be a good starting point when you're researching a school, they don't necessarily highlight all of a school's strengths. Don't forget to check out the other details that are available for a school to see if it has what you're looking for in a program.

Bachelor’s Degree Overall Quality & Other Notable Rankings

The PR major at The American University is not ranked on College Factual’s Best Colleges and Universities for Public Relations. This could be for a number of reasons, such as not having enough data on the major or school to make an accurate assessment of its quality.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Public Relations Bachelor’s Degree Schools 10
Best Public Relations Schools 12
Most Popular Public Relations Schools 13
Most Focused Public Relations Bachelor’s Degree Schools 16
Best Value Public Relations Bachelor’s Degree Schools 67
Best Value Public Relations Schools 85

PR Student Demographics at The American University

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the PR majors at American University.

The American University Public Relations Bachelor’s Program

81% Women
28% Racial-Ethnic Minorities*
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 109 students earned a bachelor's degree in PR from The American University. About 81% of these graduates were women and the other 19% were men.

The American University Gender Breakdown of Public Relations Bachelor's Degree Grads

About 69% of those who receive a bachelor's degree in PR at The American University are white. This is typical for this degree on the nationwide level. Prospective students may be interested in knowing that this school graduates 1% more racial-ethnic minorities in its PR bachelor's program than the national average.*

The following table and chart show the race/ethnicity for students who recently graduated from American University with a bachelor's in PR.

Racial-Ethnic Diversity of Public Relations Majors at American University
Race/Ethnicity Number of Students
Asian 4
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 14
White 75
International Students 2
Other Races/Ethnicities 8

The American University also has a doctoral program available in PR. In 2019, 0 student graduated with a doctor's degree in this field.

Careers That PR Grads May Go Into

A degree in PR can lead to the following careers. Since job numbers and average salaries can vary by geographic location, we have only included the numbers for DC, the home state for American University.

Occupation Jobs in DC Average Salary in DC
Public Relations Specialists 17,310 $107,490
Public Relations and Fundraising Managers 5,390 $188,050
Communications Professors 290 $92,970
Advertising and Promotions Managers 140 $143,600

References

*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs.

Visit School

Find Business Schools Near You

Our free school finder matches students with accredited business colleges across the U.S.