Life As a Tax Preparer
Example of Tax Preparer Job Prepare tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
List of Tax Preparer Job Duties
- Answer questions and provide future tax planning to clients.
- Compute taxes owed or overpaid, using adding machines or personal computers, and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables.
- Review financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to determine forms needed to prepare tax returns.
- Consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to determine procedures for preparation of atypical returns.
- Check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to detect errors in arithmetic, data entry, or procedures.
- Prepare or assist in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
Tax Preparer Required Skills
These are the skills Tax Preparers say are the most useful in their careers:
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Mathematics: Using mathematics to solve problems.
Related Job Titles
- Tax Evaluator
- Tax Associate
- Tax Preparer
- Income Tax Advisor
- Tax Advisor
Job Outlook for Tax Preparers
There were about 95,900 jobs for Tax Preparer in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 10.7% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 10,300 new jobs for Tax Preparer by 2026. The BLS estimates 11,500 yearly job openings in this field.
The states with the most job growth for Tax Preparer are Tennessee, Utah, and Nevada. Watch out if you plan on working in Maine, Missouri, or Wyoming. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of a Tax Preparer
The salary for Tax Preparers ranges between about $20,550 and $81,720 a year.
Tax Preparers who work in New York, Massachusetts, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
How much do Tax Preparers make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$97,070|
What Tools & Technology do Tax Preparers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Tax Preparers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Access
- Email software
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Sage 50 Accounting
- Tax software
- Intuit Quicken
- ATX Total Accounting Office
- Web page creation and editing software
- Laserfiche Avante
- Universal Tax Systems TaxWise
- Intuit ProSeries
- CCH ProSystem fx TAX
- ATX Total Tax Office
- Sync Essentials Trade Accountant
How to Become a Tax Preparer
Learn what Tax Preparer education requirements there are.
How many years of work experience do I need?
Tax Preparers Sector
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Those interested in being a Tax Preparer may also be interested in:
Are you already one of the many Tax Preparer in the United States? If you’re thinking about changing careers, these fields are worth exploring:
More about our data sources and methodologies.